[LINK] NBN and ISP differences?

George Bray georgebray at gmail.com
Fri Feb 18 14:27:05 AEDT 2011

In my travels talking with ISPs about the NBN their idea at the moment
is to differentiate their offerings with live and on-demand TV. iiNet
and internode are offering the FetchTV service with differing channel
selections. Some ISPs allow unmetered access to ABC iView.

I think as multicast TV services come on via the NBN we might find the
ISPs granting access to some/all of their bouquets.  Finally, I think
we'll start to get video services charged like pay TV subscriptions
instead of services that consume large chunks of an allocated download
allowance.

Also, I reckon videoconferencing services will be a point of
difference. As with email, news, ftp, web the ISPs will make
investments to support group videoconferencing services and offer
these as part of the retail package.

The issue of churning out of an existing [ADSL] contract when
connecting to the NBN came up lots. If you're in a contract already,
there's an incentive to wait until it's complete before connecting to
the NBN. The bigger ISPs will probably offer some changeover scheme
where the contract stays in place, and they get to keep their
customer.

Nobody yet offers a premium fax service on the NBN.  :)

cheers,
George