[LINK] NBN and ISP differences?

Rick Welykochy rick at praxis.com.au
Fri Feb 18 15:19:50 AEDT 2011

stephen at melbpc.org.au wrote:

> Microsoft Changes Tune Over Steps Toward Internet Safety
[SCHNIPPE]

> Most notably, privacy is a key concern. In order for
> ISPs to be responsible for internet security, they would have to scan PCs
> to root out infections. While in a technical sense this could be
> effective; most people won't want their provider snooping around their PC.

Given that it is quite easy to break into many consumer modem/routers
(cf. separate Link article last year), such a scheme of having a PC
open for "ISP inspection" would leave it a sitting duck for exploiters,
identity theives and similar ilk.

> Comcast has a feature called Constant Guard, which warns customers when
> they detect a security problem coming from their computer.

Once again, serious privacy concerns with such a scheme. I presume they
would be performing deep packet inspection to detect abuses.

The only real solutionthat provides both prvacy and protection is to use secure
routers and secure operating systems.

cheers
rickw