[LINK] Congestion (was Re: NBN to cost 24 times South Korea's faster network, says research body)

George Bray georgebray at gmail.com
Mon Feb 21 00:00:58 AEDT 2011

Thanks Richard.

So it's the switches that have knowledge about the MAC addresses to
send to? How is this managed without the equivalent of SAP for
discovery?

> My question: is there a reason that multicast is necessary for NBN Co?
> Couldn't the retail ISPs simply use IP multicast themselves?

For resources that need to go everywhere in AU, I'd say NBN Co would
need some sort of multicast.  It would be nice if all of the
free-to-air TV channels from all over the country were available to
all users on all RSPs. Seems rather silly for the broadcasters to have
retransmission agreements with individual providers when a national
backbone agreement (and appropriate amendments to the act) would serve
everyone.

George