[LINK] Congestion (was Re: NBN to cost 24 times South Korea's faster network, says research body)

Paul Brooks pbrooks-link at layer10.com.au
Mon Feb 21 14:46:42 AEDT 2011

On 21/02/2011 2:24 PM, George Bray wrote:

> I would have thought there'd be a range or public ports set aside by
> NBNco for nationwide broadcasting, emergency communication, and the
> like.  From what you're saying, the content and service providers make
> their own arrangements with regard to stream format, ports, end-user
> requirements and such. Is there no network-wide plan for allocating
> common ports across all RSPs?
No, there is not.

Each physical port maps one-to-one to a service provider.
The standard ONT has 4 ports, which can all be mapped to different service providers,
or to different services provided by the same service provider, or a combination.

Everything else is between the user and a service provider.

AFAIK, there are no plans for the government (which government?) to be a universal
service provider, and reserve a port for their own use. This was covered a little
during a Twisted Wire podcast I spoke to in October last year
(http://www.zdnet.com.au/free-broadband-will-help-the-nbn-s-case-339306899.htm)

(and this has little to do with congestion, or South Korea any more - anyone want to
suggest a better subject title?)

cheers,
    Paul.