[LINK] NBN and Batteries

Tom Koltai tomk at unwired.com.au
Wed Feb 23 16:52:22 AEDT 2011

Huge mistake.
Pac-Bell discovered in 2000 that they had to replace the copper they
pulled out.
If the Ducts are crowded, dig a new trench.
Hell for 43 billion I'll trench every street in Australia and have
change left over.
(Trenching to 1000 mm, backfilling, compaction and resealing is
approximately $1,300 per lineal metre @ approx 815 000 kms of road in
Australis.)[http://www.dfat.gov.au/facts/land_transport.html]

Considering the Telstra fibre has been purchased and will not need to be
retrenched and it covers 82% of the population, we only need to trench
about 18%.
(Less those trenches that are across open ground and not beneath the
bitumen).

> Also, who is going to assume responsibility for running the batteries
> now in the exchanges?

Whoever runs the Exchanges. Who would that be ?
Obviously there would be a strata title management team. Batteries would
be part of the back up generation system at every exchange.
Even fibre switches need power... And in fact they need a lot more power
than the copper...

> And a final point: the NBN moves the backup; what is now a bunch of
> lead-acids (I suppose) in exchange buildings becomes (probably) gel
> batteries at homes. The net effect is that for X number of batteries
> added to the environmental load, another bunch of batteries are
> *removed* from it.

Telstra exchanges have been swapping out the Lead acid batteries for
sealed replacements since 2006.
(I purchased four 8000 AH 48V for $180.00 each from the scrap merchant
and the batteries looked brand new...)