[LINK] NBN and Batteries

Paul Brooks pbrooks-link at layer10.com.au
Thu Feb 24 13:43:37 AEDT 2011

On 24/02/2011 10:53 AM, Stilgherrian wrote:
> On 24/02/2011, at 9:40 AM, Bernard Robertson-Dunn wrote:
>> In the case of the NBN, the use of the system during a power outage
>> should probably fall into type 1. Even if it doesn't it is a critical
>> second order problem (i.e. a problem caused by the solution) which needs
>> to be addressed as a problem in its own right, not as a wrinkle of the
>> original solution.
> Um, but this stuff was in early engineering proposals, with the first suggestion offered by NBN Co [from memory it was from then rather than the Communications Alliance] being an opt-in to get battery backup if you wanted it.
>
> Stil

I think the CA working groups started to consider it first, recognising up front that
it was a major consideration for consumers.
We also need to understand this is not a new issue - all the now tens of thousands of
residences in greenfields housing developments over the past few years with FTTP
networks and services have also had to cover this off, so there are a few years of
'prior art' from the FTTP greenfields network operators to work with as a starting
point in deliberations.

Looking through the archives, the CA NBN End Users Handbook Release 1 released in
December 2009 covered this issue, with lots of discussion in the months of drafting
leading up to that paper.
There weren't a lot of NBN Co people around in late 2009, the earliest documentation
from NBN Co started appearing in early 2010.

It was also covered in the NBN Technical Standards paper released April 2010 - these
papers can be downloaded and viewed at
http://www.commsalliance.com.au/Documents/national-broadband-network

FWIW, the Overview of Technical Standards paper (April 2010) had this to say:

Regards,
Paul.