[LINK] Broadband for a Broad Land

Richard Chirgwin rchirgwin at ozemail.com.au
Mon Jan 3 13:41:30 AEDT 2011

On 3/01/11 12:54 PM, Tom Worthington wrote:
> Frank O'Connor wrote:
>> At 10:59 AM +1100 28/12/10, Tom Worthington wrote:
>>> I started writing a submission for the NBN Inquiry:
>>> <http://blog.tomw.net.au/2010/12/broadband-for-broad-land.html>.
>> Mmm ... many Internet apps are Web based, and don't benefit from the
>> increase in bandwidth beyond the initial 12 Mbs ... The problem on the Web is latency ... and depending how the NBN
>> implements this the Web may or may not be a better experience. ...
> I assume that the NBN's optical network will cut out many hops between
> data source and the customer at home, reducing latency. What happens
> with the wireless sevice is anyone guess. Are there any specifications
> from NBN Co. about latency?
None about the wireless. I don't think wireless has been specified yet.

Most of the latency of Internet applications comes from router
processing, doesn't it? The reason I mention this is that the NBN is a
layer 2 network - it's not providing the router layer. I'm happy to be
corrected on this by those more knowledegable, but: if (say) iiNet has
ten hops between its Sydney data centre and San Francisco, the NBN won't
affect this. It will deliver customer traffic to the iiNet data centre,
which is where the traffic will enter iiNet's routing and pick up the
same ten hops.

RC