[LINK] Broadband for a Broad Land

Tom Worthington tom.worthington at tomw.net.au
Tue Jan 4 12:55:26 AEDT 2011

Jan Whitaker wrote:
> At 08:00 AM 31/12/2010, Tom Worthington wrote:
>> At the very least, online education could be used for education of
>> teachers. ...
>
> Just a reality check. "could" is far too unrealistic. It is being
> done with millions of students every year across the US ... If it hasn't
> caught on in Australia to that degree yet, I'm not sure why. I doubt
> it has anything to do with what sort of network there is in place. ...

Yes, I agree that what sort of network is used has litte to do with the
effectiveness of e-learning.

The Parliament is having an inquiry into how useful the NBN will be.
Rather than argue about the merits of the NBN versus some other sort of
network, I thought it more useful to discuss how use could be got from
such networks in general. One thing to say, I suggest, is that we need
to invest in education of teachers (and others) to make broadband useful.

--
Tom Worthington FACS CP HLM, TomW Communications Pty Ltd. t: 0419496150
PO Box 13, Belconnen ACT 2617, Australia  http://www.tomw.net.au