[LINK] Kogan on Online Retail....

Scott Howard scott at doc.net.au
Sun Jan 9 18:11:16 AEDT 2011

On Thu, Jan 6, 2011 at 11:10 PM, Kimberley Heitman <kheitman at kheitman.com>wrote:

> As I recall the tale, the first Harvey Norman website had online purchasing
> facilities and was quickly fleeced by unscrupulous purchasers (using false
> credit cards coupled with the site permitting insecure deliveries). It
> closed in a huff and stayed there.

There used to be 2 different Harvey Norman websites -
www.harveynorman.com.au and www.harvey-norman.com.au

The first of these was owned by Harvey Norman corporate (ie, the
franchiser).  The second was owned by one specific Harvey Norman store (ie,
a franchisee)

>From memory it was the second of these which started doing online selling
many years ago.  It didn't last long, and the rumor at the time was that
they were shutdown by corporate as their franchisee license didn't allow
them to operate online - and several of the other franchisee's complained
about them doing so.

As far as I'm aware, the official website (harveynorman.com.au) has never
done any form of online selling, with the exception of their Fujitsu
partnership for photos.

  Scott.