[LINK] Kogan on Online Retail....

Frank O'Connor francisoconnor3 at bigpond.com
Mon Jan 10 09:17:36 AEDT 2011

Mmmm,

With most States in the US it was 8% last time I checked ... and
hasn't changed in years. And the US retailer doesn't bill it to
overseas customers anyway.

And with on-line US purchases, you get:

1. High delivery costs, but prompt delivery (less than a week vs 6
weeks or better with our HN and other local middlemen)
2. An excellent returns and product follow-up policy (with our
retailers it's 'go see the manufacturer - it's not our problem')
3. No dinky credit card or other charges applied (our retailers want
their huge margins, plus full cost recovery ... and for some weird
reason can't see that card purchases mean there are no debt recovery
hassles and costs down the track)
4. Excellent and competitive pricing (vs the cartel like 'take it or
leave it' behaviour of our retailers)
5. Customer service that. whist not up the to conventional bricks and
mortar service in the US, is far and away better than that of our
Australian bricks and mortar retailers

I feel that US on-line retailers add value to any transaction I do
with them ... whilst the business model of their conventional
Australian counterparts removes customer value in favour of providing
business and shareholder returns. It's a nice, lucrative and
comfortable middle-man niche for our people, and they don't want
anything to mess with their comfort zone.

Yes there are efficiencies of scale in the US, but as a consumer I
can negotiate an inordinately better deal for product (in terms of
cost, service, convenience and end-transaction satisfaction) than I
could even begin to contemplate with a conventional Australian
retailer. And in terms of the difference in price ... the GST is not
an issue. (Our retailers must be really bad negotiators if they can't
source in bulk from the supplier for way better than I as a consumer
can do with another retailer overseas for a single sale, plus
attendant transport costs and the like)

That's not say Australian retailers can't compete ... Indeed the vast
majority of my online purchases (80-90%) are made from retailers in
Australia. And many of them really do get it ... Kogans, Rivers,
Chemist WareHouse, etc etc. But other's don't provide much reason to
go there, or return ... as they are mirrors of the bricks and mortar
store, or the digital shop-front is a nightmare in design for the
user, or whatever.

Bottom line: If they are even remotely competitive, and offer even a
modicum of customer service, I will go to Aussie retailers and more
often than not do ... but I won't put up with bad service, poor
competition and cartel like behaviour, that ignores me as a customer.
I don't owe Gerry Harvey or Solomon Lew or whoever or whatever a
living, and their failure to adopt a viable online business
strategy/model is their problem and not mine. And I will be less than
pleased if the government caves into their bellicose and unreasonable
demands.

Their protestations about economic damage seem to be a furphy ...
particularly given the big retailer's role in pushing our own
manufacturing sector to the brink, ruthlessly squeezing primary
producers on pricing and the added service they have to provide (to
the retailer), squeezing their own domestic suppliers (manufacturers,
wholesalers and others ) to the bone, consistently cutting employee
wages and conditions to the bone, wiping out the competition (small
retailers and producers), lobbying government and councils to get
their uncompetitive way way with regional and local competitors and
stores ... and extending their tentacles and building vertically
integrated entities that take their cut from the real estate they own
(and hiring it out to small retailers at exorbitant rates), financing
and hire purchase agreements, franchising and penny anteing all and
sundry with charges, added costs and the like when you think a
transaction has been concluded.

It's likely that our economy would be more efficient without these
practices, and less warped by the artificiality of many of the added
costs and charges our retailers have inserted into their transaction
chains. Small retailers can't do this, but large retailers routinely
do it.

If there's going to be a Productivity Commission enquiry, then these
and many many other questionable practices of the large chains should
be put on the table and examined.

Just my 2 cents worth ...