[LINK] Kogan on Online Retail....

Marghanita da Cruz marghanita at ramin.com.au
Wed Jan 12 10:26:30 AEDT 2011

Frank O'Connor wrote:
> So the Australian retailer's raison d'etre is to import goods for a
> far greater cost than the individual consumer can do it for? This is
> their business model?
>
> Practically speaking they generally source and contract with not the
> overseas companies, but from either Australian importers (another
> middleman) or domestic branches of the manufacturing company.
<snip>

By focusing on computer/s and consumer purchases, we might
be getting a skewed perspective.  Though E-Waste has not been
addressed.

The supply chain for food, for example, would be much more
complex.

B2B & B2G e-commerce plays a big part. Remember we have
an electronic customs system set up just a few years ago. Such
systems may be more costly for small/niche operators than large
operators who work on scale rather than variety.

There is also a jobs and skills angle and many IT systems are
justified on reducing head count. Though the benefits actually
realised by IT systems are generally much more interesting.

I suspect there are also some issues about physical retail
space - a front which we here in the Inner west have been
battling.
<http://www.ramin.com.au/annandale/story-73-parramatta-road-woolworths-da.shtml>
<http://metrowatch.com.au/>

then there is this:
> The City of Sydney has created the new retail advisory panel - 17 leading businesses and stakeholders tasked with positioning Sydney as "Australia’s best retail destination".
<http://www.insideretailing.com.au/Latest/tabid/53/ID/9613/New-panel-shapes-Sydney-retail-future.aspx>

There are also environmental issues - energy and water use:
> Green Star - Retail Centre v1 replaces the Green Star - Shopping Centre Design PILOT tool.
<http://www.gbca.org.au/green-star/rating-tools/green-star-retail-centre-v1/1757.htm>

Below is info on the inquiry:

<http://www.dbcde.gov.au/digital_economy/online_retail_forum>

<http://ministers.treasury.gov.au/DisplayDocs.aspx?doc=pressreleases/2010/028.htm&pageID=003&min=brs&Year=&DocType=>

> The Australian Retail Industry
> Public inquiry
>
> The Assistant Treasurer has announced that the Productivity Commission will be undertaking an inquiry on the implications of globalisation on the Australian retail sector.
>
> The Commission will examine the current structure, performance and efficiency of the retail sector and the drivers of structural change in the industry, including globalisation, increasing household and business access to the digital economy, changing cost structures, employment issues and the exchange rate.
>
> The Commission will also consider the broader issues posed by an increase in online purchasing by Australian consumers and the role online purchasing plays in providing consumers with greater choice, access and convenience
>
> The inquiry is expected to start in early 2011 and report by the end of the year.
> Contact
>
> Clair Angel
> Ph: 02 6240 3239
> Further information
>
>     * The Future of Australian Retail - Joint Media Statement from the Minister for Broadband, Communications and the Digital Economy, Minister for Home Affairs and Minister for Small Business (external link)
>     * About the public inquiry process

<http://www.pc.gov.au/projects/inquiry/retail-industry>

Marghanita
--