[LINK] Vodaphone [WAS: Our Roger even MORE famous]

David Boxall david.boxall at hunterlink.net.au
Tue Jan 18 11:09:56 AEDT 2011

On 18/01/2011 9:49 AM, Pilcher, Fred wrote:
> In case anyone hasn't noticed:
>
> http://www.theregister.co.uk/2011/01/17/roger_clarke_on_vodafone/
 From that article:
> The other concern is access by someone outside the organization who the a staff-member or re-seller passes their login details to – anything the staff member has access to is then accessible to a the party outside, either by connivance or purchase.

 From
<http://www.smh.com.au/technology/technology-news/i-just-hate-going-to-work-now-abused-vodafone-dealer-to-sue-20110117-19t4j.html>:
> A former contractor in Vodafone's IT department who contacted this website said at least half of the user accounts in the company used the password "password1!" and accounts of users who had left the company stayed active for at least a month after they were gone.
>
> It is impossible to confirm this claim, although the Sydney dealer spoken to by this website said its dealer login password was "password1!".

In my (rural) area, Vodaphone has a reputation for the worst mobile
coverage. A few people use Optus, because they can get service cheaper,
but complain that the coverage isn't as wide a Telstra's. Ye Gods, I'm
beginning to sound like a Telstra toady!

I keep hoping that the example of the NBN will lead this or some future
government to see the wisdom of building a comprehensive national mobile
network. Assuming, of course, that the Coalition doesn't get in and
throttle Australia's telecommunications entirely.

--
David Boxall                    |  When a distinguished but elderly
http://david.boxall.id.au       |  possible, he is almost certainly
                                |  right. When he states that
                                |  something is impossible, he is
                                |  very probably wrong.