[LINK] ArsT: 'HTML to lose the version number'

Marghanita da Cruz marghanita at ramin.com.au
Mon Jan 24 10:00:14 AEDT 2011

Roger Clarke wrote:
> [Comments at end]
>

> HTML to lose the version number
> By Ryan Paul | Last updated 2 days ago - 22-23ish Jan 2010
> http://arstechnica.com/web/news/2011/01/html-to-lose-the-version-number.ars
<snip>
> [Now we're reached the point that a standard-setting organisation has
> destroyed the integrity of their standards, using the justification
> that integrity, reliability and stability aren't respected by anyone
> else, so why should *we* bother ourselves with it.

Standards organisationa rarely write standands (AS8015 being
an exception rather than the rule). In practice IT standards
are set by Industry.

<snip>
> [Corporations, and consumer organisations, have permitted this
> nonsense to become mainstream, because they've failed to sue their
> software suppliers for harm arising from the lack of integrity, the
> > unreliability and the instability of applications.

What you are asking for is the Disclaimers in most software
(and hardware?) contracts to be made illegal.

It will be interesting to see how the government goes on the
Insurance definitions for the causes of water damage to
property.

Marghanita
--
Marghanita da Cruz