[LINK] smartphone privacy problems

Roger Clarke Roger.Clarke at xamax.com.au
Thu Jan 27 21:11:57 AEDT 2011

At 20:30 +1100 27/1/11, Stilgherrian wrote:
>A mobile phone, smartphone or not, can physically be anywhere on the
>global cellphone network. It must report its location and some
>unique identifier so that calls and text messages can be routed to
>it. I suspect it'd be a challenge to have a phone that both did and
>did not have a unique identifier.

An IP-address needs to be unique within the IP-address-space.

An IP-address does *not* have to be, nor to contain, nor to imply,
the (or any) identifier of the device that's currently using that
IP-address.

Stil, I assume you're stirring, because if not you've gone to sleep  (:-)}

                    Tel: +61 2 6288 1472, and 6288 6916