[LINK] NBN delay not an option: Gillard

stephen at melbpc.org.au stephen at melbpc.org.au
Fri Jan 28 12:02:00 AEDT 2011

NBN delay not an option: Gillard

January 28, 2011 - 10:44AM  AAP <http://news.smh.com.au/breaking-news-
national/nbn-delay-not-an-optiongillard-20110128-1a7hq.html>

Prime Minister Julia Gillard says it would be unwise to delay the
national broadband network (NBN) to fund the flood recovery.

The federal opposition and national retail body, the United Retail
Federation are calling for the multi-billion dollar NBN to be put on hold
as the nation budgets for rebuilding flood-damaged Queensland and
Victoria.

But Ms Gillard told ABC Radio on Friday morning the NBN was too important
to the nation's future.

"The national broadband network is an investment we have made that is
going to pay a return to taxpayers," Ms Gillard said.

"It is not money in the government budget that can be reallocated from
the NBN to another purpose. That's not the way it works, it's an
investment."

She said major infrastructure like the NBN was pivotal to maintaining a
strong economy.

Regional communities hit badly by the flood will also benefit from the
scheme, she said.

"When we look at what's happened in Queensland so much of the burden has
been borne by regional centres in Queensland," Ms Gillard said.

"They're exactly the places and exactly the local economy that will
benefit from the NBN.

"I'm not prepared to rob them of that."

© 2011 AAP

--