[LINK] RFI: Backtracking Links

Ash Nallawalla ash at melbpc.org.au
Sun Jan 30 02:13:08 AEDT 2011

See below:

Not as easy.

> But is anyone aware of a way to do either of the following things, using
> Google or any other search-engine?
>
> (1)  identify all links to all pathnames within a given domain-name

For a free resource, Yahoo Site Explorer is the best.
http://siteexplorer.search.yahoo.com/
The results page will let you exclude the domain.

Or in G/Y
link:xamax.com.au -site:xamax.com.au

>       The obvious way to express the request would be with a wild-card:
>       link=<domain-name>/*

No need for wildcard. Note no spaces in my example

> (2)  identify all links to a specific URL, but excluding those
>       that are from within the same domain-name

Just adapt the example with a specific URL.

Google won't show accurate index counts (site:) or backlinks (link:) but if
it is a site under your control, then you get a more accurate but not
perfect count via Google Webmaster Tools - http://www.google.com/webmasters/

For more accurate backlinks, see http://www.majesticseo.com based in the UK.
For a free analysis, you have to place a certain file on your server but you
can't query other people's backlinks for free.

Ash