[LINK] IPv6 vs. Human Security [Was Re: smartphone privacy problems]

Karl Auer kauer at biplane.com.au
Mon Jan 31 10:44:15 AEDT 2011

On Mon, 2011-01-31 at 09:00 +1100, Roger Clarke wrote:
> But what you're saying is that IETF engineers are guilty as charged:

No. Read your message again to see what you "charged" them with.

> By default, an IPv6-connected device is recognisable nomatter where
> on the net it may connect.

"By default" is saying too much. The minimum, standard and default
mechanism by which an IPv6-capable interface obtains a globally routable
address is stateless automatic address configuration (SLAAC). The first
level of SLAAC (link-local addresses) provides the *massive* benefit of
permitting a network to be set up in the complete absence of a router.
The second level of SLAAC, which requires a router in the network,
provides the *massive* benefit of permitting a network to autoconfigure
itself with globally routable addresses.

As soon as you have a router in play, you have configurability, you have
administration, and with that comes policy. It is IMHO extremely
unlikely that SLAAC will be of interest to any network-providing entity
beyond the setup phase. SLAAC does not provide DNS server information,
is not logged, provides no policy control over addresses, and a few
other things that are needed. So it is most likely that in any real
network used by humans (as distinct from things like cluster networks,
sensor networks and the like) that SLAAC will not be used except perhaps
during the build phase. That is, to get initial connectivity long enough
to configure the hosts properly.

> The onus has been placed on users to:
> -   realise that this has been imposed on them
> -   go looking for information
> -   learn enough to make sense of the information
> -   work out what to do on their devices to override the default
> -   do it
> -   remember that this workaround is safety-critical
> -   sustain it across generations of software and hardware

The normal user will be at the very edge of a network. Everything about
how he or she communicates has been dictated by (for example) a service
provider or an employer. There are almost unlimited ways that those
entities can eavesdrop, intrude, block, modify or otherwise damage the
end user's communications. Nothing new there, and the address
calculation mechanism (even if it is used, which is unlikely) is the
least of the problems.

> So the world's users have been forced to get under the bonnet,
> because of the utter social irresponsibility of IETF engineers.

Roger, you need to get a grip here. Amazingly enough, privacy is not the
only constraint on a protocol designer. Your "utterly irresponsible IETF
engineers" provided no less than four mechanisms that do NOT expose the
MAC to the world. Not only that, but the mechanism most likely to be
actually used for hosts operated by humans does NOT expose the MAC. And
there are external mechanisms that protect even that - NAT for the
terminally daft, proxies and similar at an organisational level, and
systems like Tor for those who are serious about protecting themselves.

> What's more, it's easy for nation-states to criminalise the
> obfuscation of IPv6 MAC-addresses.

A nation state can criminalise people using direct means - it doesn't
need to take such an oblique approach.

> So IPv6 is, by design, a weapon for autocratic governments (not to
> mention marketers).

Knives are by design a weapon for murderers. Not to mention TV cooking
show hosts. So what do we do about the knife problem? It's endemic!
Should I panic now?

> [The reason I'm so appalled at this is that this question arose on
> link a decade ago, and I'd understood from that discussion that the
> generation of IPv6-addresses based on the MAC was an early idea that
> had gone away.

Nope. A decade ago, IPv6 was complete in all major respects, and people
were already being urged to adopt/test it. Nobody bothered.

> [If it's the instruction in the RFC, and if some designs depend on
> it, and those designs will break if the IP-address is *not* generated
> in that way, then human insecurity has been built into the
> architecture of the Internet - and not as a result of governments
> getting control of it, but by engineers asleep at the wheel.]

Nothing will break if addresses are not generated that way (except link
local, but that is, well, link local). Only one other type of SLAAC
address is calculated that way. It is a way for an interface to generate
an address for itself in the absence of anything but a prefix, and is
one method that a conforming IPv6 stack must implement. And, although it
is indeed stipulated in an RFC, there is no technical penalty for not
doing it that way - as the existence of temporary, random,
cryptographic, static and DHCP addresses testifies.

And a final note: IPv6 is not set in stone, any more than IPv4 ever was.
If people need a change, change can be made. In this area especially, it
is relatively easy. It won't change any installed base of course, but it
can certainly change for desktops and servers.

Regards, K.

Karl Auer (kauer at biplane.com.au)                   +61-2-64957160 (h)
http://www.biplane.com.au/kauer/                   +61-428-957160 (mob)

GPG fingerprint: DA41 51B1 1481 16E1 F7E2 B2E9 3007 14ED 5736 F687
Old fingerprint: B386 7819 B227 2961 8301 C5A9 2EBC 754B CD97 0156