[LINK] Modern McLuhan

George Bray georgebray at gmail.com
Fri Jul 1 15:01:56 AEST 2011

Thanks to ABC POOL for digging this up. -- g

Modern McLuhan
http://pool.abc.net.au/projects/modern-mcluhan

Do you worry that an onslaught of television, radio and advertising
from every direction is shortening your attention span?
Have you ever felt that the media you use have started to become an
extension of your nervous system?

Revolutionary media thinker and philosopher Marshall McLuhan was
considered a visionary for saying these things over 50 years ago - as
well as predicting the idea of the Internet years before its creation
- and ABC Pool wants to know if you think his ideas still ring true
today.

Can you think of a way to make his ideas resonate once again? In
today’s frenzied media landscape where our attention seems to be up
for grabs, we’d love you to share a bite sized piece of work that
proves or debunks McLuhan’s ideas - in the 21st Century. You can
submit text, audio, video or images, make your own original ad, or
even re-purpose this rare Marshall McLuhan archive video we’ve snagged
from the ABC vault! It’s an idea slam and ABC Pool is holding the
microphone...

ABC Pool’s Modern McLuhan project celebrates the 100th anniversary of
his birth and joins ABC Radio’s special week of programming beginning
July 16. The week is dedicated to exploring some of the ideas of the
McLuhan legacy. McLuhan’s most famous idea is arguably ‘the medium is
the message’ - but in a Global Village where our work, social and
family lives are being constantly changed and shaped by the media and
connectivity, can we learn anything new from his ideas?

To start things off, we’ve shared this rare ABC archival video of an
interview with Marshall McLuhan when he was in Australia during the
1970s.

What’s this got to do with ABC POOL? Well, we like to share, mix and
remix media and messages all the time - right on par with Marshall
McLuhan!

Video:  http://pool.abc.net.au/media/marshall-mcluhan-australia