[LINK] The Game Begins...

Marghanita da Cruz marghanita at ramin.com.au
Fri Jul 1 15:20:54 AEST 2011

Jan Whitaker wrote:
> At 06:22 AM 1/07/2011, Richard Chirgwin wrote:
>
>>> 7 Gbps within a 10-meter range
>
> Pretty soon instead of gardens of bushes, trees and grass, the
> landscape will be covered with transmission towers. I'm sure that'll
> go over well. We haven't heard the anti-mobile tower groups for awhile now.

<snip>

Actually, when I attended the NBN briefing in Sydney, someone raised the
issue of interference from leaves on trees - I vaguely remember pointing
out that Australian trees, with one exception, are not deciduous. What
would also be interesting is whether more open Australian Trees result in
more or less interference.

Tree roots can also push cabling around and possibly break it as they do
concrete and other materials in their path. Evil trees also bring down
power lines and block expensive views.

Given the article is talking about linking Radio Telescopes, perhaps this
article is more relevant "evidence". It will probably mean that Parkes
would have a case for fibre over wireless, whenever their turn comes up.
> The US tests found a wireless-based national broadband network would produce significant interference with GPS systems used for everything from aviation to high-precision timing networks to consumer navigation devices.
> The findings, based on extensive equipment tests conducted in Las Vegas, increase pressure on the Federal Communications Commission to block a Virginia company called LightSquared from launching the network, which is designed to compete with super-fast systems being rolled out by AT&T and Verizon Wireless.
<http://www.ozspeedtest.com/news/4089/test-finds-national-wireless-network-would-harm-gps/>

Marghanita
--
Marghanita da Cruz