[LINK] ITnews: 'Damage from major data-centre power outage'

Bernard Robertson-Dunn brd at iimetro.com.au
Thu Jul 14 15:29:47 AEST 2011

On 14/07/2011 2:57 PM, Marghanita da Cruz wrote:
> It wasn't a power surge, just an outage. Those without an alternate power
> supply failed. When servers crash, it doesn't hurt to bring the systems
> back methodically.

It seems to have been an outage on a distribution feed to a UPS which
supplies various servers. The UPS then happened to fail, causing a surge
on the power line to the servers. Some servers didn't like the surge and
suffered damage.

The probability of all this happening is low, but not zero.

> I would expect alternate/backup power supplies are options on service
> contracts.
>
> One could be cynical and suggest it is a way to get customers to upgrade.
> Guess you have to do the risk analysis.

Risk analysis is only the start, you also have to do the planning for
if/when it happens.

--

Regards
brd