[LINK] NBN widening digital divide in bush

Birch, Jim Jim.Birch at dhhs.tas.gov.au
Thu Jul 14 15:51:39 AEST 2011

David Boxall wrote:

> If the anthill has copper, it must eventually get fibre. The fibre
network should then continue growing to ever more remote places.

Do you think the people in Australian Antarctic Territories should be on
the fibre network too?  They have a valid need so let's add one billion
or so to the NBN budget. :)

The NBN make a choice between fibre, wireless and satellite based mainly
on cost, with maybe some other technical issues in cases.  Fibre is
first choice on speed but is very costly where a long trunk is required
to service a few people.

If a national phone system was being put in now it would have a much
more wireless.  A lot of the current rural copper would not be laid.

That said, I think we will get more fibre to more remote spots as time
goes on and the bandwidth requirement for "normal" connection to the
world grows.

- Jim

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE AND DISCLAIMER

The information in this transmission may be confidential and/or protected by legal professional privilege, and is intended only for the person or persons to whom it is addressed. If you are not such a person, you are warned that any disclosure, copying or dissemination of the information is unauthorised. If you have received the transmission in error, please immediately contact this office by telephone, fax or email, to inform us of the error and to enable arrangements to be made for the destruction of the transmission, or its return at our cost. No liability is accepted for any unauthorised use of the information contained in this transmission. If the transmission contains advice, the advice is based on instructions in relation to, and is provided to the addressee in connection with, the matter mentioned above. Responsibility is not accepted for reliance upon it by any other person or for any other purpose.