[LINK] Guidance re Passwords

Gordon Keith gordonkeith at acslink.net.au
Tue Jul 26 14:05:08 AEST 2011

On Sat, 23 Jul 2011 10:40:50 AM Roger Clarke wrote:
> It's good to see that this is better than most:
> http://www.staysmartonline.gov.au/factsheets/factsheet_15
> (I like this bit: 'To make a password easy to remember, think of a
> pass phrase and then change some of the characters to make it a
> strong password';  although the examples are unrealistic).

My preference is to come up with a password strategy that involves numbers.

For example if I have relatives John, Mary and Fred:
John's birthdate is 14 November 1981
Mary's birthdate is 15 March 1975
Fred's birthdate is 27 July 2011

I get get:
J'sbdi14Nov1981
M'sbdi15Mar1975
F'sbdi27July2011

Then always use the shift key when typing in numbers (you can't see them
anyway and funny characters are stronger than numerics):

J'sbid!$Nov!(*!
M'sbdi!%Mar!(&%
F'sbdi@&Jul@)!!

These are faily strong passwords. If I can remember my system I can get the
password from the name e.g. gmail is John, Facebook is Mary, so writing down
the name is reasonable.

I can have as many passwords as people's birthdates I know or can lookup.

Addresses and bible quotations are also good sources of numbers.
John's address is 51 Main Rd 7011
J'ai%!MR&)!!

However I think the best suggestion I have seen for a password is still:
'); drop table password;

Regards
Gordon