[LINK] Guidance re Passwords

Roger Clarke Roger.Clarke at xamax.com.au
Wed Jul 27 11:44:26 AEST 2011

At 10:42 +1000 27/7/11, Birch, Jim wrote:
>(OTOH a colleague in
>the school system told me they had to crank up the bad password limit on
>teachers' accounts to somewhat insecure levels because the kids would
>trip them - not to break in, but to disrupt the class by locking their
>teacher's account...)

Damn, I overlooked DoS by account-lockout.  Nice one.

I stuck to the very simple concept of 'practicality', and the only
trade-off I really mentioned was strength vs. rememberability.  I can
include this as another factor that needs to be reflected /
traded-off.

>A 16 character random password which including digits, special
>characters, and case changes with one in a gazillion guess probability
>is might be a good idea for file encryption but offers zero additional
>protection against social engineering attacks, rootkits, keyloggers,
>fake links, men-in-the-middle, server breaches, etc.  It would be much
>more useful to enforce the factors that limit these attacks.

Also nice, thanks Jim.

I had to dumb down the security theory (e.g. I intentionally
conflated threats and vulnerabilities into 'risks' - which a purist
will hate).

It's not easy to include a detailed mapping of safeguards against
'risks', without making it too complex for the target readership.

But hopefully I can find a way to encourage the more capable readers
to twig to those kinds of issues.

                    Tel: +61 2 6288 1472, and 6288 6916