[LINK] calibre-ebook. Re: Borders and A&R finished

Pilcher, Fred Fred.Pilcher at act.gov.au
Thu Jun 2 08:37:53 AEST 2011

Kim wrote:

> I really don't like calibre.  Why do all these programs have
> to do everything and have control over everything on your
> computer?  I dislike all these programs these days that
> insist on having a great humungous library of all your
> music/pictures/books or whatever.  Worse are programs like
> picasa that want to trawl through everything on your
> computer's hard disks and catalogue it.  What's wrong with
> the old unix maxim: small programs that each do one thing
> well that you can string together.   What's wrong with a
> simple tool to read ebooks, a simple tool to convert between
> formats and if you really want it, a separate library tool?

Hear, hear.

I've used Calibre a couple of times now and I'll probably stick with it because, to date, it's the best thing I've found for converting from X to Mobi format, which is what I need. But you have to struggle to to make it do what I want it to - take one file, convert it to Mobi format and store it where I want it to. At least you *can* do that, so it's not quite as bad as the abominable iTunes (which seems to be the archetype of this kind of horror), but if there was a small conversion tool I'd ditch Calibre in a flash.

Fred