[LINK] Cisco Growth Prediction for 2014 Internet =17.2 Exabytes p/mth

Tom Koltai tomk at unwired.com.au
Thu Jun 2 12:14:16 AEST 2011

Unfortunately it would appear that carriers have been caught short by
the additional take-up in the mobile phone arena made possible by
Android legitimising the Chinese clone phone manufacturers.

Neither the networks or the legislation were constructed for always on
broadband handsets.

12 million Australians with a broadband capable smartphone in their
pocket/handbag next year with 16 million Aussies locked and loaded by
2014.

Quote/ [From:
http://money.cnn.com/2011/06/01/technology/cisco_visual_networking_index
/index.htm]

Each year, Cisco's annual Visual Networking Index reveals some stunning
facts about how the Internet is growing. This year's forecast  is no
different.
Cisco predicts that the Internet will quadruple in size over the next
four years. In fact, the incremental growth in Internet traffic between
2014 and 2015 will be 17.2 Exabytes per month. That growth alone is
roughly the amount of all global Internet traffic recorded last year.

/Quote.

I guess that's Warp factor 9.9 - wonder if the engines will be able to
handle it. I can promise you that the existing 1201 spectrum allocations
in the Sydney CBD certainly wont be able to... That's a 12 times
increase in throughput on the 2010 utilisation figures.

Anyone for 5 minute delays on ACKs?

   LTE ? Don't make me laugh...

   Oops too late... ROTFLMAO.

However, the indications are that even the new ACP cable proposed for
laying next year will be insufficient for our global connectivity
requirements.

The only way to fix this is to :

1.	dramatically increase funding for locally generated
entertainment content.
2.	increase dramatically the CDN network capacity at all edge
points on the network.
3.	revisit the satellite scenario and buy some other countries
slots.
4.	lay more fibre overseas - fast.

Tom.