[LINK] Indonesia Overtaking Australia with Wireless Internet

Richard Chirgwin rchirgwin at ozemail.com.au
Sat Jun 4 17:41:23 AEST 2011

On 4/06/11 9:07 AM, Jan Whitaker wrote:
> At 01:27 PM 3/06/2011, Tom Koltai wrote:
>> the NBN is a
>> necessary adjunct unless Australia can find approximately an additional
>> 950 MHz of Spectrum for the wireless Carriers.
> I'm curious. Is there any work going on to increase the amount of
> throughput and multiplexing within a frequency allocation? We keep
> talking about the way fibre expansion can happen with better end
> equipment replacement. Are there similar advancements in the R&D
> centres for wifi as well?
Jan,

Within the constraints of wireless, yes.But those constraints don't go
away with better modulation, new mux schemes etc.

The simplest explanation is this:  The maximum data rate you can get is
related to the carrier frequency you use. In the digital dividend range
that everybody's so excited about, you have around a 700 MHz (10 ^6 Hz)
carrier frequency. In a fibre, you are dealing with "carrier
frequencies" (now an imprecise term) in excess of 10^12 Hz.

The limit of radio waves cannot approach the limit of fibre.

RC