[LINK] Indonesia Overtaking Australia with Wireless Internet

Richard Chirgwin rchirgwin at ozemail.com.au
Sun Jun 5 18:39:26 AEST 2011

Not Wifi that's in trouble ... the ability of radio to replace last mile
connections. People will still use WiFi in-home and good luck to them.
While allowing that streaming can cause even 802.11n to bump its head
(I've been told), it will be fine in the home. After all, where people
can't get the WiFi to do what they want, they will run a boring old
Ethernet cable.

But depressingly, it proves damn difficult to "get the physics" through
heads. Political interests are against the science - which is IMO a
spooky recapitulation of the debasement of the pollution debate - so
they work hard in propagating the myth of the magic wireless fairy.
Carriers' interests are against the science, because cellular services
are so much more profitable; I just can't think why someone says "don't
build the NBN, we can all pay 20x the price per GB instead!"
Futurologists' don't like the boring science bits because it spoils the
imagined future. Etc.

So there are many spoilers who really want the science of signals to be
ignored; who want to drive a stake through Claude Shannon's heart,
abandon the maths, and extend the radio spectrum forever upwards. We
could, I suppose, solve the NBN question, the lack of spectrum AND our
pollution issues at a stroke: learn to modulate gamma rays, use these
for our transmissions, and it's a pity that so many people will die
trying to use their gigabit-over-wireless iPads.

RC