[LINK] 5 Reasons Why E-Books Aren't There Yet

Jan Whitaker jwhit at melbpc.org.au
Fri Jun 10 09:06:42 AEST 2011

At 10:37 PM 9/06/2011, Ivan Trundle you wrote:

>Actually, the current thinking is that encouraging people to FIRST
>turn their certified device to flight mode, THEN to turn it off
>prior to take-off and landing - to ensure that when the device is
>switched on at cruising altitude, all hell doesn't break loose (or
>so they say - and possibly poor metaphor).

I turn off my gear in the airport terminal. That way I'm not
shuffling around with switches etc on the plane, which can be a bit
harrowing. I do recall forgetting to turn off a mobile in my purse
once. Then you go through the problem of either getting a flight
attendant to get it down or crawling over the other passengers to get
the bag out of the overhead compartment, both uncomfortable.

I reckon I don't need a phone while still on the plane. It's time
enough to call from the terminal if required. 10 minutes won't make a
bit of difference upon landing. Life is a whole lot longer than that.

As for ebooks on planes (getting back to the original idea), they
won't do for long haul flights. Battery life isn't good enough on
netbooks. Ebook readers may be better. I don't own one, so don't
know. If you're in the privileged parts of the plane, you may have
access to power, but in cattle class, no way. Standby is around 70
hrs on my laptop battery, but that means you're not doing anything
with it. I think battery power is about 4 hours MAX on this machine.

Jan

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
jwhit at janwhitaker.com
blog: http://janwhitaker.com/jansblog/