[LINK] 'The Conversation'

stephen at melbpc.org.au stephen at melbpc.org.au
Mon Jun 13 15:44:32 AEST 2011

Tom writes,

> > THE CONVERSATION (BETA)  Academic rigour, journalistic flair
> >
> >  <http://theconversation.edu.au>
> >
> > A New Approach to Journalism
> >
> > Launched in March 2011, The Conversation is an independent source of
> > information, analysis and commentary from the university and research
> > sector. The site is in development and we welcome your feedback.
>
> An excellent initiative.
>
> Although their Editor could do with some training as to what qualifies
> Research and what qualifies Analysis and Comment.
> Quote/ [http://theconversation.edu.au/pages/carbon-tax]

Yes, agreed. Although it's early days for this initiative, they do seem
to be a little 'playful' with the facts sometimes. Perhaps it's because
they aim to engender conversation, as per their publication title? This
mightn't be a bad strategy for subject entrenched/bound uni researchers
as conversation with other disciplines will be a great idea-fertizizer.

However, the fact remains as you say Tom, that thus far 'comment' isn't
strictly differientiated from 'research' in the content.  One favourite
such comment currently is the "much like human males" aside in this :-)

http://theconversation.edu.au/sexual-cannibalism-a-treat-you-can-eat-528

"Female praying mantids use sexual cannibalism as a foraging strategy to
increase their reproductive output, with absolutely no interest in the
huge costs imposed on their male partners.

Much like human males, male mantids have one brain in their head and
another in their abdomen. This means male mantids can continue to
transfer sperm without a head."

> Research News (3)
> June 6, 2011
> Threats may chill climate research in long run
>
> By Sunanda Creagh, The Conversation
> Death threats against climate scientists may make researchers reluctant
> to engage in public debate or even turn research.
> June 2, 2011
> Economists' open letter calls for carbon price
>
> By Sunanda Creagh, The Conversation
> An open letter signed by 13 of the country's top economists and
> published in The Australian newspaper has called for.
> May 26, 2011
> Carbon tax spooks retail investors
>
> By Sunanda Creagh, The Conversation
> Half the retail investors questioned in a new survey expect the proposed
> carbon tax to drive down the value of their portfolio.

> None of which of course equals Research.
> But all of which qualify for the other heading on the page...
>
> Quote/
> Carbon tax
> Analysis and Comment (20)
>
> I stopped Blogging because I felt that I wasn't qualified on various
> topics to influence the next generation.
> Let's not allow our Universities to make the same mistake. News served
> up as Research that is Personal Analysis and Political commentary needs
> to be identified as such or the "Trust" factor that the publication
> appears to engendering on Alexa will continue to rise on an initial peak
> of righteous fervour and then crash on the rocks of actuarial
> apparatchik disappointment.
>
> An excellent start in Journalism for our future political leaders of
> 2050 unfortunately the attempt at using the Cold War FUD tactics of 1950
> ruins the good intentions.
>
> Trust is never engendered with FUD.
> Neither is trust generated long term by mentioning the word Trust really
> really often.
>
> Qualification of the above Opinion:
> On a personal note. I believe the world needs a Carbon {Polluters} Tax.
> Although it will impact consumers pockets, it would appear to be the
> only way to get rid of the slumlord remnants of the industrial
> revolution.
>
> Eventually, it may totally replace other forms of Taxation and become
> the ultimate form of VAT/GST. The more you use, the more you pay. The
> Proletariat dream.
>
> As a Comment - It should be extended to a Carbon Tax per fingerprint...
> So that young persons pocket money can be taxed based on leaving lights
> on all over the house. Then we could even hold the Polluter of the Year
> award and the winner would received the red Kerchief.
>
> But back to "The Conversation".
>
> A small observation...
> As always it all comes back to who is paying for it.
> If the money from Institutions is in the form of Grants, the publication
> is likely to be seen as a lot more independent.
>
> TomK

Message sent using MelbPC WebMail Server