[LINK] DNC register fined by court

Jan Whitaker jwhit at janwhitaker.com
Thu Jun 16 16:13:52 AEST 2011

[note the expiry date for registrants]

Rogue telemarketer fined for dialling wrong numbers
  Lucy Battersby
June 16, 2011 - 12:42PM
http://www.theage.com.au/business/rogue-telemarketer-fined-for-dialling-wrong-numbers-20110616-1g4wh.html

A Queensland-based telemarketer has been fined $120,000 for making
12,507 calls to numbers registered with the Do Not Call Register, in
the first court-imposed penalty under anti-telemarketing legislation.

The Australian Communications and Media Authority issued infringement
notices, formal warnings and undertakings, but its victory against
Gold Coast travel agency FHT Travel was the first civil penalty under
the legislation.

The Federal Court in Queensland also issued an injunction preventing
the firm's owner, Yvonne Earnshaw, from making any unsolicited phone
calls related to travel or hospitality without first notifying the
communications watchdog.

Ms Earnshaw faces prison if she fails to pay the fine on time or
breaches the court order, including paying ACMA's costs.

FHT Travel was also in the process of being struck off the Register
of Companies, the Australian Securities and Investments Commission
website says.

The court made its decision on May 13 but ACMA highlighted the case
to encourage people to reregister with the Do Not Call Register,
which was set up in 2006, because registrations expire after five years.

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
jwhit at janwhitaker.com
blog: http://janwhitaker.com/jansblog/
business: http://www.janwhitaker.com