[LINK] alternative language wikipedia [was: Google Kids: The Sequel

Jan Whitaker jwhit at melbpc.org.au
Fri Jun 17 09:52:03 AEST 2011

At 11:33 PM 16/06/2011, Kim Holburn wrote:
> > * I discovered an extremely kid-helpful site from this paper:
> There is a version of Wikipedia called Simple English Wikipedia
> that uses shorter sentences and basic words. The other day I was
> looking up trilobites with my son: The main English Wikipedia page
> had too much detail, but the Simple English page is just enough.
>
> > http://simple.wikipedia.org/wiki/Main_Page

That is so cool. Great resource for schools for hyperlinking info for
students to show the interconnection of ideas and let them explore knowledge.

We think of alternate language in terms of foreign language, but
simple language for those with limited English vocabulary is a very
useful idea for information on the internet, too. And not just
children. Think how many times non-tech folks ask for plain English
manuals/contracts/insurance policies.

Jan

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
jwhit at janwhitaker.com