[LINK] Hold up your hands if you Like HT Transmission Lines - Was - solar plants

Marghanita da Cruz marghanita at ramin.com.au
Tue Jun 21 10:55:48 AEST 2011

David Boxall wrote:
> On 21/06/2011 8:25 AM, Craig Sanders wrote:
>> "ultracapacitor"[1] technology looks promising. still dangerous, of
>> course (anything storing that much energy is inherently dangerous) ...
>
> It would probably not be wise to encourage storage of energies of those
> magnitudes by home-owners. Grid-connect and centralised storage hold
> fewer hazards. Of course, the transmission lines should be underground.
<snip>

Electricity transmission lines would need to be a long way underground.

Apparently, "The big challenge Leichhardt Council faces is the escalating
costs combined with a limited ability raise funds. These include rising
electricity costs and increases to the fire levy." - 2011/12 Budget
Reflects Community Priorities
<http://www.leichhardt.nsw.gov.au/2011-12-Draft-Budget-on-Public-Exhibition.html>

My response, as an engaged local, was what are they doing to mitigate the
increase in electricity costs and suggested LED Lighting was an area they
could look at. Their report concluded...
> However, a barrier for implementing LED street lighting is that Leichhardt Council does not own the grid or light poles. Currently, Ausgrid (formerly known as Energy Australia) owns the infrastructure and light poles, whilst Leichhardt Council pays the electricity bill.
>
> The City of Sydney has undertaken a trial project with LED street lighting and their trial was carried out on the light poles owned by the City of Sydney.
>
> In order to progress with the implementation of LED street lighting, it is recommended it be undertaken through the SSROC street lighting improvement project to overcome administrative barriers. An LED street lighting trial with SSROC and Ausgrid is upcoming, and Leichhardt Council has indicated that it is interested in being included in this trial.
>
> What does become clear is that a careful approach must be taken when deciding to undertake an LED trial. It is important that manufacturers of LED systems that have experience with the type of area being lit are chosen, to ensure that the trials are designed properly and according to specification. Simply replacing existing light bulbs with LED technology will not result in the desired outcomes - it requires re-designing the layout of the lighting fixtures (an expensive proposition).
> ..
<http://ramin.com.au/annandale/Annandale-LED-Lighting-Pilot.shtml>

It seems to me, that similar issues arise from Solar and Wind Electricity
generation and use.
> The Capital wind farm consists of 67 Suzlon S88 2.1MW machines with a total installed capacity of 141MW and will play a crucial role in helping Sydney Water to secure the water supply for Sydney. Sydney Water's decision to use 100% renewable energy means that the desalination plant's power needs will be fully offset, when it starts supplying water this summer, contributing to Sydney Water's broader commitment to be fully carbon neutral by 2020.
<http://www.braidwoodtimes.com.au/news/local/news/general/wind-farming-powers-up-at-lake-george/1688650.aspx>

Marghanita
--
Marghanita da Cruz