[LINK] SMH: '4800 Aussie sites evaporate after hack'

Brenda Aynsley bpa at iss.net.au
Wed Jun 22 10:13:40 AEST 2011

On 22/06/11 09:29, Roger Clarke wrote:

> On the Whirlpool discussion forums, where there are over 60 pages of
> posts discussing the Distribute.IT hack, customers were livid at
> finding out their data was gone forever.
>
> "I think I'm in shock ... I have lost everything .... I couldnt
> possibly replicate all those years of work again ... my whole lifes
> work is gone down the drain," wrote one.

I have no sympathy for people who who find themselves in this situation
and who havent done anything themselves to protect their investment.

I remember years ago losing about 4 hours of work on a computer; that
taught me to take responsibility for my 'valuable' data and to keep it
backed up.  I now have a backup regime that I am happy with where the
data I lose should disaster occur is within tolerable limits and it's no
big deal to do the backups.

what is wrong with people taking responsibility for backing up their own
data?  In my view this is the first law of being a user of any computer
device.  If you consider it of value, then treat it with the respect it
deserves.

cheers
brenda

--
Brenda Aynsley, FACS, CP, ACCE Associate
Honorary Life Member and Vice President 2010-2011