[LINK] FW: SMH: '4800 Aussie sites evaporate after hack'

Michael Skeggs mike@bystander.net mskeggs at gmail.com
Wed Jun 22 12:34:48 AEST 2011

On 22 June 2011 12:07, Paul Koerbin <pkoerbin at nla.gov.au> wrote:
> It is a pity (for them that) the Whirlpool Forum site a comprehensive robots.txt disallow on all user agents. Had it not we would have collected a copy of the site in the latest .au domain harvest we did in Feb-March of this year.
>

> Paul

Whirlpool is just where the discussion is, it is unaffected.

For mine, the discussion here is missing the real story. This business
sold hosting (and was a domain registrar that wholesaled domain rego
services). They had 4800 web sites across 4 servers, so they were at
least good at sales.
They were hacked, lost all the back ups, and lost all the data from
those 4800 sites.
It took them over a week to admit they were hacked, and longer to reveal:
- they could not restore *any* of the 4800 lost sites data.
- they cannot even rebuild the hacked servers to continue offering a
hosting service. They are advising customers to find an alternative
host.

To me, this looks like mind blowing incompetence. It really is
professional negligence, and cowboys like this tarnish the AU IT
industry reputation.

Regards,
Michael Skeggs