[LINK] Gallery loses fight to keep controversial spirit statue

Dr Bob Jansen bob.jansen at turtlelane.com.au
Fri Jun 24 09:06:06 AEST 2011

In his submission to the court, the Worrorra elder and lawman Donny Woolagoodja said: ''The sculpture is a caricature … and its presence mocks and denigrates the spiritual beliefs of the Worrorra people.'' (SMH, http://www.smh.com.au/nsw/gallery-loses-fight-to-keep-controversial-spirit-statue-20110623-1ghme.html).

I think we are enterring slippery ground here. Notwithstanding the 'artistic' merit of the sculpture or the beliefs of the Wororra peoples, how is this situation different to the cartoons published in Denmark and deemed offensive to Muslims? Where does this end, the 'thin edge of the wedge' as Sir Humphrey liked to say.

Dr Bob Jansen
Turtle Lane Studios
PO Box 26 Erskineville NSW 2043 Australia
Ph: +61 414 297 448
Skype: bobjtls
http://www.turtlelane.com.au