[LINK] FW: SMH: '4800 Aussie sites evaporate after hack'

Martin Barry marty at supine.com
Fri Jun 24 17:24:38 AEST 2011

$quoted_author = "Ash Nallawalla" ;

> http://distributeit.com.au/
>
> I don't think competence is the issue, since they can Google the information
> about operating a hosting environment or even resell it from a wholesaler.
> The wording " We have been advised by the team and the storage & capacity
> managers that we no longer have sufficient resources within the platform to
> transfer the 4,800 domains and accounts to other parts of the platform, and
> at this point we cannot undertake further provisioning of servers & accounts
> on the current infrastructure. This leaves us little choice but to assist
> you in any way possible to transfer your hosting and email needs to other
> hosting providers. " is strange.
>
> What are "resources"?

Perhaps $$$ and/or in-house skills?

> What is "within the platform"?
>
> What is "current infrastructure"?

Perhaps you can take them at face value if you use the limiting resource as
$$$ and/or in-house skills

> I don't think they are short of a hard disk. Surely, they can buy a managed
> server from a US host for less than $1000 a month and host 4800 websites on
> it. That would make more sense than losing thousands of customers.
>
> There has got to be some other explanation.

Perhaps you can read something into the fact that Netregistry has bought
their customer base and remaining data.

http://www.netregistry.com.au/blog/press-releases/distribute-it-customers-helped-by-netregistry-group’s-acquisition

cheers
Marty