[LINK] energy efficient accommodation

Tom Worthington tom.worthington at tomw.net.au
Thu Jun 30 09:14:51 AEST 2011

On 29/06/11 11:00, Birch, Jim wrote:
> Tom Worthington wrote:
>> ANU's shipping container apartment building for students ...
>
> Reminds me of an old song: "Little boxes."...

The University of New England is running a TV advertisement to the tune
"Little Boxes", to promote their distance education courses:
<http://blog.une.edu.au/studentexperience/2010/10/12/une-new-tv-ads-are-live-what-do-you-think/>.

The advertisement shows a very confident student pushing through a wall
of boxes, to reveal an outdoor cafe, where they sit with their laptop. A
mobile phone rings and displays that the caller is "Professor Elkins,
UNE". The student then greets the professor, using their given name and
thanks them for assignment feedback.

This is a clever way to promote the idea of student directed on-line
education. But the reality of distance education is likely to be a bit
different to this fantasy.

ps: The video appears to have been shot in Sydney, but not at UNE's
Sydney Centre:
<http://blog.tomw.net.au/2011/06/marketing-student-directed-on-line.html>.

--
Tom Worthington FACS CP HLM, TomW Communications Pty Ltd. t: 0419496150
PO Box 13, Belconnen ACT 2617, Australia  http://www.tomw.net.au