[LINK] Australian Government Data Centre as a Service

John Hilvert john.hilvert at gmail.com
Wed Mar 2 10:08:51 AEDT 2011

I like your idea of a cloud-based set of office apps for smaller agencies.
It could work as well with medium and larger agencies over the next five
years.

But if that's the case, then AGIMO's discussion paper should have positioned
its discussion paper proposals more assertively.

I agree with Bernard it's odd that they promise to discuss the problem - but
don't. At present it comes over as little more than a menu of offerings to
tantalise the smaller agencies.

Could DCaaS be a solution looking for a problem?

By implication the discussion paper discourages small users from opting out
- as "none of the above" is offered. Also it does not discuss savings - more
like avoided costs down the track - which suggests AGIMO may differ with you
on savings available.

That's _not_ to suggest this would help the the small agencies - only that
the business case would be more strategic than tactical.

It doesn't help that they use an ugly and ambiguous name for the offering -
DCaaS. It's more like scalable IT outsourcing.

I suspect AGIMO will simply assert this is the way ahead - collectively -
perhaps do a deal with Centrelink to pilot a trial with maybe five of the
small agencies and go from there.

Baby steps are less threatening.

AGIMO needs to kick goals favourable to the Budget strategy - which is all
about savings (collectively) this year. Smaller agencies are more easily
persuaded and corralled. That's what the DCaaS charm offensive is about, I
reckon.

On Wed, Mar 2, 2011 at 9:11 AM, Tom Worthington <tom.worthington at tomw.net.au

John Hilvert