[LINK] Australian Government Data Centre as a Service

Stilgherrian stil at stilgherrian.com
Wed Mar 2 12:43:35 AEDT 2011

On 02/03/2011, at 12:34 PM, Roger Clarke wrote:
> A proportion of business functions can be supported by standardised apps.
>
> Custom-building or customisation can be dispensed with, because
> there's not a lot of harm done by having to fit those particular
> business processes to the software rather than the software to the
> business processes.
>
> Think doc prep, spreadsheet modellers, calendar, time-sheets, etc.
>
> But government agencies do a great many things that very few other
> organisations do. [snip]

Except that there are now generic tools for modelling "business" workflows. Filling in forms, validating against criteria, passing through stages of approval -- all are now available as generic building-blocks in these higher-level workflow tools.

Even the creation of legislation is "just" collaborative document production with attached commentary and discussion.

I question whether it's all really as different, or even unique, as some people make make.

Stil

--
Stilgherrian http://stilgherrian.com/
Internet, IT and Media Consulting, Sydney, Australia