[LINK] e-government and open government

Roger Clarke Roger.Clarke at xamax.com.au
Thu Mar 3 20:23:49 AEDT 2011

At 18:10 +1100 3/3/11, Alex (Maxious) Sadleir wrote:
>e-government is the Gov1.0 that Gov2.0 supplements, just as boring
>webpages became social experiences in Web2.0.
>So the distinction is that while getting government services online is
>good (saves time/money/trees filling in forms), we should now work on
>getting them unified and smart.

Some ideas take a really, really long time to sink in, especially
when government agencies are involved.

It's great that Kate Lundy (and Pia Waugh of course) are having such
an impact, and that Gov 2.0 has not only been written but is also
getting traction.

But the bare bones were obvious a long time ago, and successive
(albeit slow-motion) waves of progress have occurred.

<shameless self-promo>

The following paper presented a kind of 'maturation model' (a much
beloved term among organisational theorists).

It wasn't suggested as breakthrough thinking, or even as 'thought
leadership'.  It was essentially a report from the consultancy
trenches (i.e. we were far enough ahead of what was written here that
we could afford to give this kind of thing away).

Electronic Services Delivery: From Brochure-Ware to Entry Points
http://www.rogerclarke.com/EC/ESD.html#SOF

It was a depiction of what individual agencies could already do,
followed by an outline of how to achieve multi-agency process
rationalisation.

The word 'portal' was invented while I was writing the paper.  But
the term 'entry-point' was (and still is) a far better one to
describe the means of drawing services from multiple government
agencies into a coherent web (in the old metaphoric sense), using the
Web (in the Tim Berners-Lee sense).

It was *written* 12-1/2 years ago, but it merely reflected what we'd
been saying to clients, here in Oz, during the preceding couple of
years.  The Acknowledgements specifically mention the Business Entry
Point.  If only they'd fully implemented the plan we gave them ...

The paper's had of the order of 20,000 hits - even though aged > 10
years it had over 1,000 in 2010 - but not enough direct impact, I
regret to say.

</ shameless self-promo>

No, I'm lying.  I do *not* promise never to do it again.

                    Tel: +61 2 6288 1472, and 6288 6916