[LINK] Aerial vs underground Cabling....Re: NBN and Batteries

Jan Whitaker jwhit at melbpc.org.au
Sat Mar 5 16:41:31 AEDT 2011

At 04:31 PM 5/03/2011, David Boxall wrote:
>We can't guard against all possibilities. The Christchurch earthquake,
>for example, is said to be a 1 in 5,000 year event. We simply couldn't
>afford to build for such a remote possibility, even if it's possible to
>do so. In the end, we just have to acccept that sometimes things will fail.

Oh? NZ is on a major fault line. They do plan by having earthquake
rated buildings. Of course things will fail, but it doesn't mean you
ignore the environmental conditions in which you are designing a
system. You do guard against the possibilities, but you may not guard
for 100% infallibility. Even though a risk may be remote, if it is
catastrophic should it occur, you better be aware of it and mitigate
as best as possible.

Jan

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
jwhit at janwhitaker.com