[LINK] TPP: the next secret copyright treaty

David Boxall david.boxall at hunterlink.net.au
Sun Mar 13 10:15:50 AEDT 2011

On 12/03/2011 9:28 PM, Kim Holburn wrote:
> http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/news/2011/03/son-of-acta-meet-the-next-secret-copyright-treaty.ars
>
>> Son of ACTA: meet the next secret copyright treaty
>>
>> The draft contains only a "placeholder" section for limitations and exceptions such as fair use, but it contains plenty of detail on enforcement. Every TPP country must create "legal incentives for [Internet] service providers to cooperate with copyright owners in deterring the unauthorized storage and transmission of copyrighted materials." ISPs must cut off access to "repeat infringers" of copyright. And bypassing DRM is only permissible for good-faith security and privacy research, or if you run a library.
>>
>> The chapter requires criminal penalties against anyone who uses "an audiovisual recording device to transmit or make a copy of a motion picture… In a public motion picture exhibition facility.” All countries must provide a "making available" right to copyright holders, such that simply offering a file through BitTorrent would be grounds for a lawsuit even if no one downloaded the file. Boxes meant "primarily" for descrambling cable and satellite transmissions would be illegal and subject to criminal penalties.
>>
>> Any country could adopt tougher copyright and patent penalties than those in the TPP, but no signatory could do anything less. This follows a consistent international pattern in which protection and enforcement standards are always mandatory, while exceptions and  limitations are usually optional.

Insane Yankee extremists insist on making criminals of us all. I guess
that leaves us little option but to behave like it.

People of the world, unite! Steal anything you can that a US citizen or
corporation thinks is theirs. What you can't steal, destroy.

OK, maybe a bit much. They are asking for a backlash though, aren't they?

--
David Boxall                    |  Dogs look up to us
                                |  And cats look down on us
http://david.boxall.id.au       |  But pigs treat us as equals
                                                    --Winston Churchill