[LINK] Is it just me, or is this daft?

Steven Clark maelorin at gmail.com
Thu Mar 17 21:18:16 AEDT 2011

It's only daft from the outside ;) (also, we're doing this post-factom, for extra points. Things are always 'more' obvious after the event :)

You haven't named the design principle you have in mind, Roger, but I suspect you refer to the idea of failing safe. Which is often confused with the supposed notion of 'fail safe'.

The first leads to designs with safe default conditions. The latter with systems that are supposed to intervene when things go wrong. Which of course they do, including to the safety mechanisms. (the complex a system, the more that can go wrong. And failures tend to lead to cascades of failures ...)

Instead of defaulting to off, these stations default to on. Seemed like a good idea to the guys in the room at the time. (after all, how often are we gonna want to turn off the thing making the power for all the other things?)

Oops. (which is perhaps the most terrifying word after all ...)

All too often, engineers and other experts miss what a five-year-old can see right away. Exacerbated by the Emperor's New Clothes, aka groupthink.

As I sat in a University Library today, I overheard a trio take a perfectly simple problem and over a few iterations, and about an hour, sketch out a wonderfully complicated technological 'solution'.

The problem being: how to get students learning a second language together with native speakers so each can practice: in particular English speakers with non-English speakers. Apparently a database will be required. And Skype. And parental controls (as proxy for privacy?). And so on. The database guy was sure this was simple. He'd done an Access database in high school. So that's alright ...

[I'd have arranged for the international students they complained about to be paired up with a domestic student as a 'study-buddy' and 'settling-in' helper; for the visitor's first year and the local's final or penultimate year in the language.]

The design flaw/s in these reactors have been around for quite a while. But until now, no one appears to have stopped to think through the logic of the design. Or if they did, they probably 'assumed' it away through a series of perfectly logical, completely erroneous assumptions. (perhaps the same occurred at Chernobyl?)

I suspect a few people are now thinking quite a lot about the (short-term) solution.
---
Steven R Clark
Sent from my outboard brain ...