[LINK] Version control (was 'Copyright questions')

Marghanita da Cruz marghanita at ramin.com.au
Fri Mar 25 12:33:11 AEDT 2011

Philip Argy wrote:
> Yes - I was also going to point to the Wayback Machine as where I invariably
> find superseded versions of material.

Thanks Phil, I have just elaborated on this problem (relying
on a secondary source) in my Comments on Consultation
Question 13 about deletion of content from Govt websites the
Disclosure Logs discussion paper
<http://ramin.com.au/itgovernance/Au-FOI-Disclosure-Log-discussion-paper.shtml>

It is worth noting that Austlii and the NSW Goverment
Legislation sites do some pretty whizzy things with
legislation (which changes).

> On a tangential note, there's quite a serious problem for those who don't
> take a snapshot of the version of the terms and conditions as they existed
> at the time a user clicks on "I accept" or its equivalent, because without
> being able to prove the terms that were agreed the contract is
> unenforceable.  Lest anyone think that couldn't happen, it's all too common
> that people do not record in some fashion the precise version in respect of
> which the other party indicated agreement.  And whilst some of the better
> sites offer the option of printing the terms that have been agreed or, even
> better, email you a copy, the vast majority seem to proceed oblivious to the
> legal consequences, or deliberately intending to bluff the consumer if a
> dispute ever arises.

Ofcourse if people bothered to read and comprehend the terms
of the contract in the first place, there would be less
disputes!

Perhaps Consumer Law should require that contracts can be
tracked back - though as I understand it consumers do need
to be notified of changes, though I don't think they have to
formally accept.