[LINK] Moderation note: Attempting to suppress discussion or opinions (Match Koltai - Was Fukushima scaremongers becoming increasingly desperate)

Robin Whittle rw at firstpr.com.au
Sat Mar 26 22:03:20 AEDT 2011

Hi Tom,

This is a note from me as one of the three Link List owners, without
having checked with them, so it's not authoritative.  If the other two
Amigos - Martin Barry and Ivan Trundle - think differently about this,
then their decision will prevail.

You wrote, in part:

> Now could we stop discussing it, please. Or could we move this rather
> moribund discussion to alt.rec.henny.penny

I think it is unreasonable of you or anyone else on the list to argue or
assert in such a dismissive fashion that any particular subject
shouldn't be discussed on Link.

I think your objection is not to the subject, but to the expression of
opinions, arguments etc. which are contrary to your own.  So my
impression of your actions are that you are using the list in an attempt
to malign the opinions of List Members whose views are contrary to your
own - by asserting that they are not worthy of being expressed on the list.

You are not required to discuss this or any other subject.  If you
believe it is off topic, then you can set an example to other list
members by not writing to the list about it.

I would consider it bad form for list members to write privately to any
other list members discouraging them from posting, except in the most
polite and constructive manner.  To do so in a way which is dismissive,
condescending, intimidating or which gives them the impression that your
attempt to dissuade them from writing has something to do with their
opinion, rather than about the topic being suitable for Link, would
likewise be at odds with what I (and I guess the other two Amigos)
expect from Link list members.

Link has survived this far with little or nothing regarding formal
declaration of what is in scope, what sort of discussions may take place
etc.  I am not suggesting this should change.

I am saying that in my view, list members should support other list
members in expressing their views constructively and respectfully on the
list.

If you think something is off-topic, then by all means write to this
effect, respectfully and constructively - on the list, to the author's
privately and/or to the List Owners.

We Three Amigos are the final arbiters of what is on-topic for Link.  My
view is that many mailing lists are being used to discuss the Japanese
nuclear crisis and that its fine for Link to be used for this too.

I can't rule out that we Three Amigos *might* decide that certain
opinions may not be expressed on the list, but I find it hard to imagine
what such opinions would be.  I am sure that the other two Amigos would
not be in flavour of banning or discouraging the expression of opinions
such as "3 or 4 burnt, exploded or otherwise damaged nuclear reactors
are a serious concern".

Please don't write to the list trying to discourage other list members
from discussing any particular subject, or expressing any particular
opinion.

  - Robin