[LINK] WebSockets

Tom Koltai tomk at unwired.com.au
Tue Mar 29 08:39:28 AEDT 2011

Ho Hum...   The old farts perspective...

As a historical note, we had scrolling, auto refreshing ASX stock data
on BBS'es in 1991.
We used a little known trick called ANSI codes that were fed from
machine A into a serial
port on machine B and presented in a Chatroom environment resulting in a
line feed every
time a new piece of data arrives on the serial port. (If one didn’t have
a live feed, one could fake it with a text file and the (unix | ) page
filter with one line of data per page piped to a timer loop).

By 1994, we were expiring animated Gifs (for the tattslotto people...)
that were generated on the fly inside an almost
never-ending html frame  [after gif execution - loading - each frame
then loaded the next url which quite often was a series of loops to give
the gif time to execute... Those were the FUN days... When men were men
and html coders were Gods! - All fifty of us.].

But I guess HTML5 is a cooler way of doing it <grin>.

I'm still waiting for the promised low maintenance, VRML Girlfriend
Version 2.1  [1],
will HTML5 in my browser get us closer to that ?