[LINK] WebSockets

Ivan Trundle ivan at itrundle.com
Tue Mar 29 09:43:58 AEDT 2011

On 29/03/2011, at 9:03 AM, Kim Holburn wrote:

> Personally I will be hanging out for some way of blocking stuff like that.  I hate websites that push stuff at me when I don't want it.
>
> They really don't get it that people want to decide what they want and when they want it.

It might not suit you, Kim - but it suits my business to a T. Individuals in organisations wanting to collaborate via web interfaces benefit greatly from having pages updated in real time.

It's not a gimmick, and saves considerable time and angst in not having to refresh the page constantly to see the latest input from other collaborators - and reduces the load on the server immensely. And no, it's not just a case of hitting 'refresh', since this can seriously impair the server when dealing with 60 machines all refreshing together.

Sure, individuals might not like the push aspects of websockets for daily use, but in my line of work, it's actually vital (and a godsend) for productivity, function, and utility.

Warmly

iT
--
Ivan Trundle