[LINK] WebSockets

Paul Bolger pbolger at gmail.com
Tue Mar 29 11:52:28 AEDT 2011

So how is this different for the end user to the AJAX, or whatever it
is, that Ebay uses to drive the real time bid price updates? The only
way to turn them off is to disable javascript, which almost nobody
(present company excepted) does.

Looking at the source code for the frame this certainly looks like
javascript, and disabling js kills it stone dead.

https://www.worldspreads.com/tradeengine2/xeqtgatewayv3/LiveMarket.aspx?companycode=1

Maybe FF3.6 and Chrome 10.whatever are getting fed the old-style version.

I do agree though, that the browser vendors should be giving us
opt-outs on new html5 features, such as the new database function.