[LINK] Students not pro-NBN??

Jan Whitaker jwhit at janwhitaker.com
Wed Mar 30 10:44:09 AEDT 2011

[gee let's base public policy on 14-17 y.o. kids.
Well, it may be just as good as some of the
politicians involved, come to think of it. Naw, couldn't be.]

Students shrug off NBN as a 'waste'
Jewel Topsfield
March 30, 2011

"THE national broadband network may have secured
the support of the independents and squeezed
through Parliament but according to the next
generation of internet users it's a waste of money.

Diamond Valley College, in Melbourne's
north-east, was one of only two schools in
Australia that made a submission to the federal
inquiry into the role of the NBN.

The school surveyed 380 of its students and found
they were prodigious internet users, with 99.5
per cent of them on Facebook. But year 11 student
Alex Klammer believes the $35.9 billion broadband network is a waste of money.

''The
 government wants to speed up the internet
but it's going to slow it down with all these
firewalls and proxies to stop you getting on to
certain websites,'' Alex said. ''It doesn't seem as if it would work.''

The federal government's proposed mandatory
internet filter will stop blacklisted websites
from being allowed past Australian internet service providers.

Alex and other students at Diamond Valley College
were galvanised into making a submission to the
inquiry after deciding that almost $40 billion
was a fair chunk of change, and that the
parliamentary committee holding the inquiry might
be interested in how young people use the internet.

''We did a bit of research into it and it seemed
like a good idea to have our say on it. We were
the only school [students] to do it,'' Alex said.
[no, they weren't, if you take Alex's unedited comment]

The 214 submissions were dominated by local
councils and universities. The Hutchins School in
Tasmania was the only other school to
participate, with a submission by its director of information services.

Diamond Valley College's submission included its
survey, which also found 75 per cent of students
in years 7 to 12 use the internet for chat sites
and email, 88 per cent for music, 73 per cent for
weather updates, 72 per cent for movies and 66 per cent for games.

Many students who attend the school live in
Kinglake and other areas devastated on Black Saturday.

''Knowledge about community disasters like
bushfires is also noted as a huge need

approximately 90 per cent of all young people
living in bushfire-prone areas want to use the
internet to protect their future safety,'' the
students said in their submission.

But despite the submission pointing out that
speeding up communication would be a ''huge
benefit in the future'', Alex was not the only
Diamond Valley College student to question the value of the NBN.

''I personally think the money could be used for
better things like hospitals,'' said year 9
student Ashleigh Gentles, who helped write the
submission. ''I feel the internet is sufficient for use now.''

The federal inquiry into the role and potential
of the NBN is due to report in August."

http://www.theage.com.au/national/education/students-shrug-off-nbn-as-a-waste-20110329-1cesr.html

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
jwhit at janwhitaker.com
blog: http://janwhitaker.com/jansblog/
business: http://www.janwhitaker.com

Our truest response to the irrationality of the
world is to paint or sing or write, for only in such response do we find truth.
~Madeline L'Engle, writer