[LINK] Not so smart meters?

Alex (Maxious) Sadleir maxious at gmail.com
Tue May 3 15:40:03 AEST 2011

I remember hearing about these meters and the Telstra Machine 2
Machine product - they were meant to save money for Aurora by not
being activated before installation
http://www.itnews.com.au/Tools/Print.aspx?CIID=233506
I'm surprised they're not automatically locked to a specific IMEI
(unique station identifier) on first use/activation.

You can buy these SIM cards for your own enterprising/tinkering:
https://telstra.m2m.com/devkit/
$2 per activated SIM card and then $5 per month for 50 MB of data per
SIM but presumably massive overage charges. There are data packages
available for high bandwidth applications (like traffic camera images)
but presumably Aurora were only expecting a small amount of plain
text.

This has happened elsewhere to more dangerous results - traffic lights
being raided in South Africa:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-12135841